Sunday, April 27, 2008

RSS feeds

Since hearing of RSS feeds I've noticing the orange icon more and more. By joining bloglines I was happy to see them in practice. I started having fun by looking at what the popular feeds were - signing up with Quote of the Day for a bit of fun, and Librarybytes which look really interesting from a librarians point of view. I then began searching through feeds from some of my favourite movie sites and music sites that i liked to be able to access all at one page. And of course I had to do smh.com.au because even if I don't read all the articles I like to keep in touch with the news headlines.

RSS feeds seem advantageous to libraries to announce new library items as they arrive, upcoming events and general news. I did some google searches to see how other libraries had put these into practice. Minneapolis Library was impressive as they had divided their new item lists into music cds, audiobooks etc. Other libraries divided their feeds into subject areas. I also looked at the State Library of Vicotia which had a feed on employment opportunities which I thought was great.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

It is strange how you notice things once your attention has been drawn to them. RSS can be an amazing tool.

Ellen (PLS)